Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Presidential Debate

Did anyone get a chance to watch the presidential debate tonight? I missed it on TV, and have just watched tiny bits online, but I think the little bit I saw was painful for McCain. Obama is SUCH a better speaker, I think McCain doesn't look too great next to him. He comes off more just like an old man. And I'm still in Obama's camp on most things but abortion. I think he'd be a great president and it'd be great for America to have a black president named Barack Obama. But I just can't vote for him because of the abortion issue! Other things I don't agree with him on I can get over, because I don't agree with McCain on lots of things, too. But his abortion views I just can't get over, and it's much too important an issue to ignore. But oh, I think after watching a little of this debate I'm not sure he can close the lead Obama has. Obama's just dang good at this whole running for president thing!

7 comments:

Kate said...

you're right, obama is a very good public speaker and kinda makes McCain seem old school.

but i actually disagree with you about the debate. i only watched a little bit as well, but the part i saw i thought McCain was doing very well- he was a lot more relaxed than other debates. obama seemed like he was on the defensive and you could tell he was trying to keep his cool. McCain did a good job of being direct i thought.

where i was on the fence before- i'm very strongly mcCain now (not as a result of this debate)...not so much because of anything mccain did but more because i'm weary of barack. i think he is a very good man, but after some discussion (with my mom) i've realized that obama is kinda sketchy. and maybe republicans are banking on that to appeal to voters' fears of the unknown, but those fears are grounded in significant concerns. and even though they were addressed tonight, i still feel uneasy about him.

i think Brooke commented before that people really like the idea of Barack and I'm definitely beginning to think that is more and more true. Also, I think patriotism should be an essential quality for a president and McCain wins my vote there.

Brooke said...

I wasn't able to watch the debate either, I have heard that McCain did fairly well. He defenently isn't the polished speaker Obama is, but that's part of what I like about him. Like Kate said, I think patriotism is so important, and not that Obama isn't, but I don't think anyone could be more than McCain. I think the country truly comes first in his book. I think a lot of people are in Obamas camp just because he'd be a different-looking president. Young, and black- would people still vote for him if he were an old white guy with the same policies?

Emily said...

i think a black president would be so cool, and obama does seem like a charasmatic and well-spoken man, and he is qualified for the job-but McCain just seems more 'real' i guess. In one of the other debates when McCain was asked a quesion he would answer it directly and straight-on; he didn't try to sugar coat it or anything, but when obama was asked a question he seemed to just beat around the bush-like he didn't want to say anything to strong, so his answers were all general and sugar coated it seemed. Also-i agree about the patriotism issue-Obama just has to many associates who are anti-American. I mean, no president should associate with anyone who has those opinions. its just a little scary. Lastly-how can we have a president who's name is so close to the terrorist who plotted 9/11?!?! just to weird!!

carrie said...

Brooke, that's a good point about would people vote for him if he weren't young and black. This may be simplifing things, but I think part of his appeal is that he physically represents a lot of what people are looking for- complete change. Despite the things I don't like about either, I think both men are good men who would make good presidents. McCain has an impressive and proven record and is not another Bush, despite what a lot of people try to portray him as. But I think Obama would make a good president, too. I know he's been tied to quite a few liberal groups, not to mention his pastors and church, and voting for him is taking a bit of a gamble, since his record isn't a tried-and-true thing, but I think he'd most likely be a good president. I guess it's a good thing that the abortion issue is so black and white with the two candidates. It's probably the biggest divide between the two, and I just don't think you can compromise on that. Obama's abortion stance is so liberal, even for a democrat, that it almost makes my stomach churn!

Kate, I'm glad McCain looked better later on in the debate. The little I saw wasn't too impressive for McCain's camp.

carrie said...

I'm always surprised by how many people my age are voting for Obama. I just want to ask them- don't you know what his abortion stance is? I mean, this man supports partial-birth abortion! And he doesn't think a living, breathing baby that is the result of a botched abortion has the right to life-saving medical care. WOW!!! I mean- a living, defenseless baby, that probably thousands, maybe millions, of couples would give anything to adopt!

That's just incredible, I wish everyone who is set on voting for him would really think about that. Then they need to think about his desires to expand the Roe vs. Wade decision. Then they need to think about what kind of Surpreme Court Justices this liberal of a guy would appoint. Maybe as a mom it just really strikes home, but if that doesn't make you think- whoa, I need to think twice about this guy-then I don't know what will!

Brooke said...

Troy here. I listened to the debate on the radio while driving and thought McCain had by far his best performance. Unfortunately I think it will be too late. Far to many people think that the novelty of having a "black" (I should mention he is equally white) president is too appealing. If people actually paid attention to his policies, his questionable to say the least associations, and general lack of experience this would be a no brainer. It is shame that he is even in the same discussion with a man with the resume of John McCain. Mosiah 29:26-27 is an interesting scripture. Whether we as a nation choose evil, or choose someone who supports evil (see Obama's positions on prop 8, abortion, etc..) I fear the road we are headed down is the same. You are all right about his charasmatic speaking abilities. Remember men like Zeezrom and Sharem had those abilities to sway people in the Book of Mormon as well.

Brooke said...

To add to that...Jacob 6:4

"And he was learned, that he had a perfect knowledge of the language of the people; wherefore he could use much flattery, and much power of speech, according to the power of the devil."

Hmmm? Sound like anyone?