Saturday, October 25, 2008

Prop 8 Update

I just got back from waving Yes on 8 signs with a few ward members on the corner of First St. and Military. I thought I might need a bullet-proof vest, but all I got was a coke can thrown at me. Actually, the feed back was about 70% in favor. However, the opposition were not nice. Sometimes, just a thumbs down, we did get some obscene gestures and f---bombs. I heard "idiots" and "bigots" a couple of times. The one guy threw his coke can at Jim Shoemaker and me. He missed, but there was a little splash. Jim waved down a Benicia policeman and filed a report on the guy. I didn't know it was a felony to throw something out of a moving car! I was just thinking a littering fine would be good. The policeman said he would send out word to all units to look for the guy. Anyway, we did have a lot of honks, thumbs-up, encouragement and thank yous also. One guy yelled out "It will be a landslide for Yes on 8!" An exciting week ahead!

5 comments:

Emily said...

good job mom!! way to stand up for prop 8! i can't believe someone threw a coke can..how can they say we're so intolerant and rude and yet they are so violent and intolerant of those that oppose them?! lots of hypocrisy...

carrie said...

So is this post from Dad or Mom?? I'm assuming it's Dad. Way to go! You should have taken off in a sprint after the car and jumped on his windshield...okay, maybe that's a bad idea. Actually it would have been much cooler if you happen to have had a blow-dart gun in your back pocket. Then you could have whipped it out and blew darts with exceptional aim to his tires. How cool would that have been? Let us know if they actually get the guy who threw the can!!

DAD & MOM said...

it was mom! - travis and i went north to spread duck decoys at the company duck club (since we would not go on Sunday with the other hunters).
-
we also went to Kalio Albino's Navy farwell.
-
then a ymyw volleyball / dinner / dance - it went well. Mom invited herself and travis to the dinner...
(serve food and she will come.....)

carrie said...

Way to go, Mom, then! I'm impressed! Rod and I both voted this week during early voting- I can't stand the suspense of having to wait another week and a half to see who our next president will be and what happens with Prop 8.

Brooke said...

I am impressed mom! You are brave. I like Carrie's blow dart vision. Such potential there. It will be hard to wait to see the results!
Side note for Dad- Troy and Devon just got back from exploring some dirt logging roads up the mountain our house is on. He said there's endless miles that are great for mountain biking and the view of the valley is awesome...