Wednesday, September 11, 2013

a little politics...

Here's a little politics to shake up your day: (warning: they use the a-word twice!)



 
And for the record, ('cause I know you were all wondering), I'm against action in Syria. 
I think helping either side is a huge mistake.  These people hate us, and playing police of the world is not a good move. 
 
But Syria is screwed up.  Instead of attacking and solving no problems in doing so, the global community (US included) should focus our resources on helping the refugees.  We should build whole cities if necessary.  If families want to start over somewhere else, let's take them there.  Build schools in refugee camps.  In short, undertake a humanitarian mission on a scale the world has never before seen.  Show Syrians that the West is not evil, that democracy means the freedom to live one's daily life without fear of your own government being after you.
 
Helping either Syria's messed up government or the rebels who hate the U.S. and the West will not solve any problems in the long run, and in the short run will probably make things a lot worse.  Instead, we should seek to change through direct, immense aid to the ones who are suffering.
 
What do you guys think?

9 comments:

brooke said...

In a rare moment, I agree with President Obama. While I think aid is an important part of the picture, if it is proven that Assad used chemical weapons on his own people, then not only do I think the US should take the lead on aid, but also the lead on making sure he does not have the capability to do so again.

History is littered with regret and sorrow of "if only we had helped sooner" moments. Bosnia, Germany, Rwanda, Turkey, etc... are all examples where thousands and even millions of people were helpless to stop the oppression and destruction imposed on them by wicked leaders.

As members of the LDS faith, we know that this land and it's inhabitants are blessed of The Lord. I believe that the human race is one race and when wickedness and oppression are found in the world, the US should take the lead with other like-minded nations and do what ever it takes and whatever it is capable of doing to stop this from happening. Syrian people on both sides may not love the US, but mothers of children who are suffering are crying for help.

While war is difficult, I think about this scripture in D&C 134:

11 "We believe that men should appeal to the civil law for redress of all awrongs and grievances, where personal abuse is inflicted or the right of property or character infringed, where such laws exist as will protect the same; but we believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."

I think that I would categorize those suffering as "friends" who have no "immediate appeal" to "the laws, and relief afforded". If nations blessed of The Lord do not step up to help the dying children, who will? I do not support at this time boots on the ground. However, if there is a way to disarm Assad and ensure attacks on innocent people with weapons of mass destruction do not happen again, then the obligations of this nations blessings and the inactions of the past (and the resulting tragedies) call us to help our suffering brothers and sisters. I know my opinion is in the minority, but that's what I think...Of course this is all contingent on one thing. Are we being told the truth?

brooke said...

That was Troy's comment by the way. I agree with him in that we need to take some sort of military action. I don't think we should lob a few missiles, wreck havoc, burn up a city and call it good though. Relief to the refugees is critical. I think a combination of military action AND a HUGE relief effort is necessary. If we just bring aid, how are we preventing Assad from doing this again? We have to make sure he in incapable of repeating this, and I don't think we can do that without the military.
I wish a decision would be made already, so many people are suffering over there while we talk about it endlessly. I know we can't go in there guns ablazing, but I don't think Obama is a very decisive leader, and it doesn't give me much confidence in him.

carrie said...

Obama is definitely indecisive; while I see merits in his move to leave military action up to Congress, I also think that was a political move designed to relieve him of the decision making process (and the responsibility for what that decision will be). He IS a weak president in my opinion. I go back and forth in my mind about whether or not the U.S. should be the policeman of the world. There are valid concerns on both sides of that coin. And you do have to wonder if the truth is all out there- I have read articles saying that chemical weapons have been provided to the rebels (and they have used them), and the rebels and government are both brutal and cruel. It's gets hard to see where such a blurry line is. Do we just obliterate everyone? Or no one? Or just one group? I don't know what the right answer is. And what's the long term goal? To bring down Assad? But then who will replace him? Another dictator? A radical Islamic state? Offering insane amounts of aid to refugees is the one thing I'm sure the global community needs to do...the rest I'm glad the decision isn't up to me. That's why we elected a President. Too bad we got the wrong one!

carrie said...

Obama should ask himself, "WWMD?" (What Would Mitt Do?) =)

carrie said...

One scriptural reference I thought of was when the Anti-Nephi-Lehis were being slaughtered by their own people, the Lamanites. The Nephites didn't march in and correct that wrong. Instead, they offered them refuge in their own land, and they would protect them. The Anti-Nephi-Lehis first made a choice to not be a part of the Lamanites anymore. From that decision, the Nephites were able to made the decision to help them. That's how I view the refugees and our nation.

brooke said...

By the way, that video is really funny!

brooke said...

What would Mitt do indeed. It's frustrating when I read articles about how Mitt basically called it on lots of the issues going on. He was mocked by Obama in the debates when talking about the potential danger of Russia. He was right on when he talked about the difficulty the federal gov't would have in launching Obamacare, and several other examples. While Mitt had his weaknesses,- for our times we picked the wrong president!!

Emily said...

This is fun... good comments!! On a completely separate note and unrelated- i thought his was cool

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/religious-freedom-resources

DAD & MOM said...

I think we missed our timing in Syria. IF we went in, it should have been a couple of years ago, when the rebels were more "pure" so to say, and not so integrated with Al Quida, and whoever else.
I'm with Carrie about aid to the refuges, at least we know who we are helping.
The WWIII video is funny in a sad sort of way?