Friday, July 11, 2008

Obama

Now, I don't want anyone to get too fired up here, but a little political blogging doesn't hurt anyone. I must confess, as of now I'm leaving behind my Republican status and voting for Obama. I can't stand John McCain. There are so many issues that just rail me about him, I think he's the most ridiculous presidential candidate we've had in a long time. The only way he could tempt my vote is if Mitt Romney were chosen as his running mate. Barack Obama, on the other hand, I really like. One of the main reasons is his refusal to be bound by party lines. The Dems were freaking out this week about a press conference he had about the Iraq war. He explained his plan for withdrawal of troops, but also stressed that that plan is dependent on and subject to change on actual conditions. Democrats were freaking out because he wasn't saying all the troops are out the month he's elected President. I just really appreciate a politican who has a few issues that aren't directly along his parties lines. I hate mindless ones (Harry Reid is a biggie here) that say or think whatever it is their party says and thinks. True, John McCain is also at odds with the Republican party in many ways, not being a conservative candidate. Which is different in a bad way. Like what's the advantage of voting for him if on moral issues, like gay marriage, he's as wishy-washy as the next guy? Moral issues are supposed to be Republican strengths, and McCain has none of that to boast. Obama is different in a GREAT way. As of now my vote is for Obama!

33 comments:

Brooke said...

This Troy here...

I am glad you are political blogging Carrie, it makes the blog exciting. I can't help but respond to your post though. I too am not a big John McCain fan. I disagree with him about 50% of the time. I will be voting for him however because I disagree with Obama 90% of the time. Neither candidate is what I would consider to be a moralist, but McCain is much more so than Obama in my opinion. Obama's voting record as both a state and US senator include voting against banning late term partial birth abortions. He also stated that he would oppose California's ballot proposition seeking to ban same sex marriages. I just can't vote for someone who would support the killing of a baby, especially during the third trimester, as well as someone who supports gay marriage. Obama is very polished and magnetic. I fear though that many Americans are in love with the idea of Obama, not the ideas of Obama. If Obama is president you will have Supreme Court nominees who will be pro abortion and pro gay marriage.

McCain on the other hand supports the initiative to ban gay marriage. Although his statements on abortion are mixed, McCain has publicly stated he is pro life and has been endorsed by Right to Life. McCain voting record has been heavily tilted toward pro-life.

Now I realize these are only a couple of issues out of hundreds, but I feel on issues of morality, taxation, national defense, and a general lack of knowing where he stands make an Obama presidency a very troubling and risky proposition. Just my two cents.

Brooke said...

Oh, one more thing. In regard to your idea that Obama is willing to cross party lines. You might want to check out this link.

http://nj.nationaljournal.com/voteratings/

carrie said...

Troy, I KNEW you'd comment! I still may vote McCain, but only if Romney is his #2 guy. Of course, if Hilary is Obama's #2 there's NO way he's getting my vote. McCain just frustrates me to no end. As far as my research goes, him and Obama have the exact same position on gay marriage- they are both opposed to same-sex marriage, but support civil unions, but both voted against the constitutional amendment supporting marriage only between a man and a woman. As a Republican, I look at McCain and think, what's up with that? I agree, the abortion issue is the one issue McCain is head and shoulders above Obama. That issue IS disturbing, to say the least. And yes, Obama is in many ways a flamin' liberal. But I think overall he'd make a better president than McCain, I really do. I'm just so frustrated that out of all the Republican options, HE'S the best we could put out there to run for president? McCain, McSchmain.

DAD & MOM said...

Carrie,

I am voting for McCain. Not my ideal. In fact, I will be going independent after this election. But Hussain is not my canidate for all the reasons listed by Troy and then some. His lack of experience is showing through everyday. Magnify that times a presidential factor of importance and his lack of experience will have tremendous impacts.

Dad - my opinion

DAD & MOM said...

I like Obama's view regarding a lot of father's need to step up to the plate and be responsible, that could solve many issues. However, he really seems to be weak spined and is not very firm on many issues. I'm afraid he really will say anything to get elected, then act differently as president. The appointing of liberal judges is a serious concern. Mom's 2 cents

Brooke said...

Here is a link on McCain's view on gay marriage as in pertains to California's issue...a direct opposite of Obama.

http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/1045969.html

As far as Romney being chosen, I wouldn't hold your breath. Even if he is chosen, McCain will still make all the decisions. I would never vote or change a vote on the VP choice alone...unless you think McCain will not live through his term. I also like Obama's views on increased parental responsibilty. That's one of the 5% I agree with.

carrie said...

For the issues, I like CNN's site: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.samesexmarriage.html

Yes, McCain is against same-sex marriage, but so is Obama. But neither want said ban in the constitution. McCain believes it should be decided state-by-state. Which makes no sense. What if a gay couple were married in Massachussetts, then move to Utah? Legally, what are the ramifications to that? Yes, I realize Obama doesn't have a solution on this either. But, bottom line is they are virtually identical on this issue (and a few others, too, like immigration). I think this is an issue where McCain really could've stepped up to the Republican plate and made himself different and appeal to the conservatives on this issue....but he didn't.

carrie said...

Also...just to throw another issue into the mix...I know I'm probably alone on this one, but McCain wants to open up the Alaskan Coast for more drilling. I realize there's a dang lot of land up there and maybe a very small increase of land dedicated to drilling could help us out. But I don't think that's a solution. How is that going to help our great-grandkids? Gaining independence on(or at least controlling our consumption of) oil means changing the cars we drive, the products we produce (and buy), the sources of our energy. I know that's easier said than done, and I'm down for a little extra drilling for a small, specified period of time while we work to make these technologies affordable. But I don't think we should be so quick to go drilling for more oil when we're running dry. Our lifestyle is one that we're virtually guaranteed to be running dry every so often (or every generation or so).

DAD & MOM said...

DRILL.... DRILL .....DRILL

DAD

Brooke said...

It's really me this time! I agree with dad, we need to tap into the resources that we have (that have been created FOR US to USE!)Although I think there's a fine line where we need to be responsible and conserve as much as we can, but not go all crazy extreme about it.

Brooke said...

Did you know that the proposal to drill in ANWR calls for the use of less than .5% of the land? The democratic parties refusal to allow drilling and new refineries over the last twenty years has and continues to be a major cause of rising fuel prices and dependency on the middle east for oil. Obama's short sided view on the issue became evident in his opposition to Bush's plan to drill. He said he is opposed to the drilling because there is "no way that allowing offshore drilling would lower gas prices right now. At best you are looking at five years or more down the road." Oh, okay if it's not immediate it's not worth doing? That's like deciding not to go to college because it won't help you financially for 5 years. The plan McCain has makes sense. Drill and work on new technologies at the same time. We are no where close to running out of oil. Scientist estimate that we have enough oil to last the US 50 years in ANWR alone. Tap that and develop new technologies at the same time. This is an idea to which Obama is opposed and McCain (and Romney too I might add) supports. I truly believe that Obama and many other democrats want us to be dependent. It's sad, but the democrats seem to want us to suffer. How would you like to be the party whose best hope for getting elected is the economy, war, environment, all going bad? Good news is bad news for them. I am trying to convince you because you live in a swing state that will help decide the election. I truly believe that Obama is fiscally, morally, and foreign policy wise the worst choice for president we have had since Carter, maybe even longer. He would be a tragedy for this nation because of the road he would put us on.

Kate said...

what the heck? i posted and it's not here... i'll have to re type it later.

Kate said...

to sum it up... i am not strong either way, but i will vote for mccain. obama just doesn't have anything that indicates he's qualified to be president. although i do agree more with him on criminal justice issues than mccain. mccain wants to build more prisons, while obama recognizes the importance of putting emphasis on offender rehabilitation in order to make our communities more safe. mccain does seem to recognize the importance of social welfare programs related to housing and food, which i think is important. obama does too i guess... but i'm still voting for mccain.

i agree we should drill... but i also agree with carrie that we should be looking at other solutions.

carrie said...

The drilling thing is an interesting debate. The figures I've heard from scientists as far as a timeline is more like the year 2026 is the year that off-shore drilling could actually help our situation; and even then the impact on global oil prices would be negligable. And, I think it's fine to drill a little more in our own backyard...the resources ARE there for us to use. But I think that's putting a band-aid on the problem. What about our resources of wind, sun, and sustainable living? We can use scienctific advancements and our resources more wisely so we don't have to desecrate nature. There is SO much we can do to decrease our nation's dependence on oil. Our lifestyle of 4 cars per family, not using sustainable sources of energy (i.e. wind/solar power), and our wasteful ways are the real problem. We need to all become hippies and go green! I admit since living in Las Vegas, I've become more "green"- the estimates are that if the entire world were as wasteful with their resources as Las Vegas is we'd need 5 planets to support ourselves. So the waste I see in my own community may be extreme, but I don't believe it's unique. Making those sustainable programs and technologies more affordable and widespread (it costs $30,000 to put in solar panels so your home can be almost completely solar!! Crazy!!) should be priority #1...increased drilling should be recognized as a temporary bandage on the real problem.

carrie said...

And I realize Romney has several issues in agreement with McCain, but I think that man is a freakin' genius. He nearly single-handedly turned the Olympics around. His state as health care for all, without an increase in taxes. The man's an economic genius. He can do things no other politican can. Maybe I have him on a pedestal, but if McCain chooses him, I will probably give him my vote. And that's not too crazy of a thought. Most political analysts are ranking him as the #1 or #2choice right now. Just predictions, but enough to give me hope.

carrie said...

Isn't politicial blogging FUN????

Brooke said...

Another link for you about McCain and the gay issue...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-07-15-mccain_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Brooke said...

I just don't see him choosing Romney. I like Romney but I think it hurts him in critical areas. He needs to lock up the south and Romney hurts him with social conservatives there. Crist the governor of Florida is the name I am hearing alot, but I don't know about him either. Either way, it makes no difference as the VP has no power really.

DAD & MOM said...

THERE SHOULD BE A NATIONAL PLAN TO GUIDE ENERGY USE AND DEVELOPMENT IN A TIMELY MANNER. BATTERY DEVELOPMENT, NUCLEAR, ETC, TIED INTO A TIMETABLE BASED ON PROJECTED OIL USE AND AVAILABILITY(?). TO ACHEIEVE THIS TIME TABLE, CALCULATE OIL QUANTITIES NEED OVER THE NEXT 20 YEARS OR SO AND BASE OUR DRILLING AN EXPLORATION ON SUCH A SCHEDULE TO BRIDGE THE GAP TO NEW SOURECES.
THIS RECOGNIZES (?) BOTH SIDES OF THE ISSUE AND HELPS TO FEEL SOMEONE IS GUIDING THE COUNTRY THROUGH THIS TURMOIL.
THE POLITICAL BATTLES SEEM TO DIG BIGGER HOLES .... WE WILL FIND DIFFICULT TO CLIMB OUT OF.. AND STILL NOTHING HAPPENS..
-
BY THE WAY CARRIE, SOME PEPOLES PLANS WOULD CALL FOR RESTRICTING FAMILY SIZE TO FIT INTO THE TINY CARS AND HOUSES YOU WILL BE LIVING IN..

DAD

carrie said...

Tiny! I didn't say tiny! I just want a house with a windmill in the back, completely powered by solar power (which IS now possible, just not affordable) and a hybrid or electric car in my garage!

carrie said...

Also, but Romney would virtually cinch Nevada for him here. Romney won the caucus here(we had a caucus, not primary this year), and Nevada's a big deal.

Brooke said...

It might clinch Nevada to have Romney, but it would cost him many states with more votes in the south.

DAD & MOM said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with my politically educated family. Troy, you have some great debate skills! I'm pretty sure those aren't all Brooke. 22 comments must be a record for us! Ma

Brooke said...

What do you mean you're pretty sure they aren't all from me?! :)

Carrie, who raised you? He he

carrie said...

Yes, I'm impressed with all our comments! Troy, very persuasive...we'll have to see how the next few months pan out before Nov. 5th. Rest assured, my vote probably won't matter anyway since Nevada (even being a swing state) is traditionally given to the Republicans. So I'll probably vote for Obama, and McCain will probably win Nevada and my vote won't matter. So be comforted. I am definately going independent, too, after this election, though. I feel like the Republicans are just settling for McCain! It drives me crazy!

Kate said...

i do love all this political debating.

ummm... nobody latched on to my criminal justice discussion. DOES NOBODY CARE THAT OUR COUNTRY IS BEING FILLED WITH PRISONS AND PRISONERS ARE LEAVING WITH WORSE PROBLEMS THAN THEY WENT IN WITH? ...I realize not everyone will have the same passion for this, but seriously, it's a huge issue, especially considering up to 90% (i've even heard 95%) of prisoners are there because of drug-related crimes. so naturally mccain wanting to build more prisons concerns me, cause what's that going to solve? and it's SO expensive to house prisoners. and i believe mccain also supports determinate sentencing, which basically gives judges no discretion and prosecuting attorney's and legislatures all the discretion.

ANYWAY, on a seperate note, at my internship right now, we just got a big grant to work on a project to increase voting among people with developmental disabilities. anyway, so we're excited about it and really busy!

Brooke said...

That's a tough one Kate. I would like to see people released from prison rehabilitated, but I plead the 5th due to a lack of research on the matter. As an average American, I am concerned about the effectiveness of such programs. I really don't have confidence in the governments ability to lead such programs. If they were proven to work then I would support that. Even so, more prisons are needed don't you think? Not because it's a better option than rehabilitation, but due to population growth. We have a larger prison population than 20 years ago in shear numbers, but less in terms of the percentage of the population due to nearly 100 million more people in the country. Again, that's a tough one. I would hate to have someone released due to lack of prison space and then have them rape or kill someone when they should have been in prison but weren't because the money was spent on rehab programs not prisons. I am not disagreeing with you, I just would like to know more.

DAD & MOM said...

its a good thing i was released early

Kate said...

dad i am also glad you were released, but i'm not sure you were ready.

troy (i'm assuming this is troy and not brooke). a lot of people are hesitant about rehabilitation programs, especially ones run by the government, which makes sense. but there have been many studies that show that this type of mandated treatment works. here's a link to one study done on utah's state prison program, called con-quest. (one of my roommates actually works in this program)

http://www.justice.utah.gov/Research/Drugs/RSATfinalevaluation.pdf

of course these programs aren't the "cure-all" treatment, but research does show that they are effective.

i see your argument about needing more prisons, simply based on population, but i think other changes need to be made. for instance, california has WAY overcrowded prisons. partially due to their, '3 strikes and your out' law. like i mentioned before, this kind of mandatory sentecing, gives judges no discretion and they are having to send criminals to prison for extended periods of time with no chance of probation or parole. some of these criminals really are not dangerous and would be better served in a program like drug court. here's a link to a study on utah drug courts:

http://www.justice.utah.gov/Research/Drugs/SLDrugCourt.pdf

drug courts are all over the country and are becoming more widely recognized. my personal opionion is that community-based treatment is more effective. i'm not saying that no one should go to prison, definitely a lot of people who are there should be there, but i just don't see making more room to house people as a solution- especially when the core of most of these criminal acts is drugs. really, it boils down to families, because in my experience, most people were led to drug use because of or by their families.

anyway, it's a very interesting subject. utah is actually pretty progressive with it's criminal justice, but i don't know a lot about other states.

carrie said...

Kate, I agree with you completely. Especially in using the drug courts for people who, if they could control or conquer their substance abuse problems, would seriously diminish their threat to society. That way there would be more space in prisons for criminals who are less likely to change regardless of intervention, such as sex offenders. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't sex offenders EXTREMELY likely to keep repeating their crimes regardless of any help or intervention? So let clear out the prisons for THEM!!


And, Brooke, I think that comment could TOTALLY be you. Why doesn't anyone think Brooke is commenting???

Brooke said...

Brooke here-
Wouldn't so many problems be solved if mothers would just stay home with their children? How many prisoners with all their problems had a mom AND a dad, with a mom at home. You're right Kate, it boils down to families. I think rehab is a great idea, as long as it's effective. It seems most people could overcome their addictions and serious issues if they had the desire. Perhaps we could do more to provide a way for those to develop skills and help them on their path to living a productive life, or at least a life free from prison...

-maybe if we tighten our borders a bit (or a lot) our prisons wouldn't be so crowded. I have problems with those who illegally come into our country, drain our resources and have no respect for our laws or even common decency... any thoughts?

Kate said...

brooke, i just assumed that it was troy before, cause he was doing all the earlier commenting...
anyway, yeah that can be a huge drain on all our resources- including prisons. i'll have to think more about that.

i was reading this statements, and thought they were interesting:

http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=research_advo&JServSessionIdr009=getqeru4e2.app26a

you can click on the link to see both canditates statements on autism. i don't know that i really believe that obama is going to increase spending for autism by $1 billion dollars, kinda seems like he's just throwing that out there.

Brooke said...

Obama will increase spending on everything, along with my taxes. That's another one to consider Carrie. A family of 4 making $50,000 a year will pay more than $1,000 more in taxes per year if Obama does not renew the Bush tax cuts. Brooke and I will pay nearly $1,600 a year more with Obama. If he is elected that will cost me between $6,000-$12,000! I can't afford to have him elected.