Friday, March 26, 2010

Sad Day

If you think this is going to be a sad post from reading the title, you're absolutely right. If you think I'm posting this to get your sympathetic comments and a little empathy, you're absolutely right.
So yesterday Rod and I embarked on a much-anticipated snowboarding trip. Arrangements for all three children were made (involving a total of 6 moms and one paid babysitter!), winter gear was packed in the car and we rose early to leave for Brian Head, a 3 1/2 hour drive from Vegas. We arrive at 9:30 am as planned and....you guessed it. They were closed. Couldn't open because of 55 mph winds. So, so sad. Double sad because if it hadn't been for the wind, it would have been a perfect day: not too cold (about 40 degrees) and sunny.
We tried to rouse our spirits and drive home a quickly as we could, hoping to get to the resort in Vegas (which is crappy and twice as expensive as Brian Head) in time for a 3 hour (or even 2 hour!) snowboarding venture. But it was not to be. We returned and there cleary was not enough time to make it. We would have gotten only an hour on the slopes. So, so sad.
Well after making all those child arrangements, we had to do something. It was about 2:30 or so (we had made arrangments for the kids until 6pm), so we consoled ourselves with Capriotti's sandwiches and hiking at Red Rock Canyon. It was fun, but it wasn't snowboarding.
Note, I did not cry when the guy came out of the lodge and delivered his cruel news! But if I had all of my kids with me, and had packed up gear for all them, and endured a 3 1/2 hour drive with yelling and screaming in the background, I would have.
Anyway, had to tell you all our sad story of yesterday. I know you'll understand!!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

I was going to call you today and ask you how sore you were from boarding yesterday...but I guess you're not sore. That is indeed SO SAD. Another sad ski trip story to add to the book. After all those childcare arragements! Did you have some good chocolate to console yourself? It sounds like you spent most of the day in the car. I want to cry for you! There's always next year. Sorry, I know that doesn't help.

Kate said...

that is so so so sad :( that stinks

Emily said...

carrie, this is so sadddd!!! I'm so so sorry, i know you were very excited!!

DAD & MOM said...

Ah yes, the ill fated ski trip. I just relived it all through you Carrie. I feel your pain. At least you didn't cry like I did!