Sunday, May 25, 2008

My garden

So...gardening is sort of my main hobby so bear with the pictures! My garden has way out grown its' bounds. My tomatoes are like monsters, I even had to rip up one tomato plant to make room for the others. Here's some pictures.


My cayenne peppers! There's quite a few on my little plant, I'm surprised how well this tiny plant has performed.


My watermelon! I have another one growing, too, but it is smaller and seems to have stopped growing for some reason. But this one is growing and I can't wait to eat it!



My watermelon plants have climbed everywhere and over everything. I guess next time I should follow the planting directions.


My garden! You can see the tomatoes in the back are busting through every nook and cranny they can (those are my Italian Cherry Tomatoes, mom!). I also have crookneck squash, cucumbers, tomatillos, yellow tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, and some chile plants. The plants around my garden are Sunflowers. In the fall we'll landscape that part with permanent plants, but the sunflowers take up the barren space till then. The two big stalks are two Sunflowers.
I've gotten some tomatoes from my garden and let me tell you, they are the BEST tomatoes I've ever had! They have a punch of flavor that, seriously, makes even vine-ripened store tomatoes bland. This year I've gone organic in my gardening, I think that and raising my garden bed higher with better soil have made a huge difference in my garden.


This is Friday. We've had a bit of a cold spell these past few days. Last week we hit the 100's, and the past few days it's actually rained and the high was 85ish. It seemed a lot colder than that though! I even made hot chocolate for the kids! I didn't realize till after I bundled up the kids, complete with jackets and hats, that it was probably no less than 68 degrees. But we were freezing!





5 comments:

Emily said...

your garden looks so good carrie! you said that you went 'organic' in your gardening....what does that mean? anyways thats really cute that you bundled up the girls and made them hot chocolate when it was that warm!

Brooke said...

Carrie, your garden is amazing! I'm so excited to have a garden again, it'll probably have to be next year...
That is too cute that the girls are bundled up and drinking hot chocolate!
Welcome home Em! We're dying to see pictures :) it sounds like you had a lot of fun and saw TONS of places!

carrie said...

Em, it means that I don't use pesticides or chemical fertilizers on my garden. To keep insects from eating my garden, I use a homemade garlic/onion/cayenne/soap/water/lavender oil spray. It works great. I also release ladybugs in my garden. I make my own fertilizer with bone, blood, and cottonseed meal and aged manure (those things aren't actually from blood and bone, just so you know). I also compost everything from my kitchen, hopefully my compost will be ready for next years' garden. That was probably way more info than you wanted, but hey, you asked!

Mizukawa's said...

Carrie WOW!!! I am in love with your garden. I have been trying but I look like a total failure next to yours. hey when is you birthday wasn't it recent? and I have a question does rolly pollys and ants cause problems to the plants?

DAD & MOM said...

Very impressive garden Carrie! I'm especially excited the Italian pomadora (I'm fluent) seeds actually spouted. To conquer desert gardening I imagine is no small task. You should teach a class!